How to use FTP
What is FTP?
FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is a means that allows you to transfer files between your local computer and a server on the Internet.
There are lots of different FTP programmes that you can buy or use for free. If you use Windows XP it has its own built in program. You can find out about it in the Help section of your PC.
The method I use is SmartFTP. It’s an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) client which allows you to your transfer files so they can be seen on the Internet.
SmartFTP can be used for: Web site publishing and maintenance Upload and download of images, documents, movie and music files. Shareing your files with your friends and coworkers. Doing Backups of local or remote files.
SmartFTP is available for a free 30-day evaluation. During this trial period, SmartFTP will operate as SmartFTP Professional Edition with no limitations. If you would like to continue using SmartFTP after your evaluation, a license for SmartFTP must be purchased. The term of the license is perpetual. It means you can forever use the version of SmartFTP you have bought a license for.
How to Upload Your Web Page with an FTP Program
1. Create a new folder on your desktop or wherever you want to save your website, with the website name.
2. Create a new folder inside with your new domain name.
3. Save your web page that you created with a HTML program to that folder, and title it index.html
4. Go to http://smartftp.com and download the free trial.
5. Install SmartFTP on your computer.
6. Open the program.
7. Go to file, then new remote browser
8. In “host” type ftp.yourdomain.com
9. Choose username & password from the dropdown menu
10. Enter your username (which you chose when setting up your web hosting account. It will be the same username you use to log into cPanel)
11. Enter your password (also chosen when setting up your web hosting account. It will be the same password you use to log into cPanel.)
12. Click OK to create the new connection.
13. Log into your website
14. Find the folder for your add-on domain, which you created in cPanel.
15. Navigate to the folder you created on your computer for your website and the folder that you saved your web page into.
16. Click on that file and click the arrow pointing right to your website, and upload the file into the file folder for your add-on domain or you can click and drag from your computer file to the web server file.
17. Take note of the location of where you placed the file, making sure that the file name is all lower case. i.e. http://yourdomainname.com/webpage.htm
18. Check to see that your webpage comes up when you enter it into the browser box.
If you have any problems SmartFTP has a good help section.